Saturday, December 5, 2009

2 out of 3

When I was signing up for races in November and December, I neglected to realize that I would have 3 races in 3 consecutive weekends.  I just thought....2 races in November and 2 races in December.

Today was the Thermal 3 race in Chippewa Falls.  It was a 3 mile race; not a 5K.  The weather was in the 20s at the start of the race.  I hate going to races alone because I don't get any pictures of me running.  So, I'll just have to post the one of last week's Noodleini race in De Pere.

Last week was warmer.  It was quite chilly today.  There were about 200 other crazy people who were braving the frigid temps.  The race started at a church, and they had the building open so people could pick up their race packets and stay warm before the start.  I showed up about an hour before race time.  There was really convenient parking and there were tables set up and a big pot of coffee!!  It was a very well organized race.

I was really amazed at the people who were running the Frigid 8 mile race.  I don't think it could have put in that type of mileage on such a cold day.  The start was nothing special.  Just a guy with a megaphone and a siren.  We were off.  The course was an out-and-back.  Not my favorite.  However, I do like seeing the leaders coming back.  It is inspiring to watch the good runners.

I heard my split at the first mile; 9:14.  Not bad.  I knew I wanted to finish in under 30:00.  I haven't really been able to do better than 10:00-minute miles lately.  I met my goal:  29:42.  I immediately went inside to warm up.  Then I grabbed my change of clothes from my car.  One thing I learned from last week's race is that you don't want to be stuck in sweaty clothes when it is 20 degrees outside.  I changed quickly and headed home.  As I was leaving the 8 mile finishers were coming in.  These guys were impressive.  I guess if I hope to run a half marathon someday, I will need to realize that 8 miles isn't that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment