Tuesday, August 25, 2009

It's all about balance

Do you ever get to a point in your life when you have so many things to do, that you realize you can never possibly accomplish them all? So, you decide to take on a few more things, just for good measure? I have always been the kind of person who accomplishes more when I am busy. If you give me 5 things to do in a week, I will get them done. But if you give me 20 things to do in three days, I'll still get them done. I thrive off of being busy and stress seems to bring out the best in me. (well, maybe not the best, but...)

Right now I am heading into what promises to be a very busy time in my life. I have a full load of classes this semester, along with working 2 part-time jobs and keeping up with my family and church obligations; not to mention running, which I love and trying to keep a relatively clean house and stable family. It seems like I have more on my plate than I could possibly handle, yet I know that somehow everything will get done. The house might be a little messier, I may have to depend on the Husband more than usual, my runs might have to be a little shorter and fewer in number (boo), but I know that the big responsibilities will get taken care of.

The danger is that I will focus on all the things that have to get done and forget to take care of myself. Because I know that I CAN do a lot, I will think that I HAVE to do everything. The one thing that will get left behind is my own health and sanity. I've been down that road before, and I really don't want to go back. The difference is that I have some built in checkpoints in my life now. Like running. I know what my body should be able to do. If I am not feeding or resting my body enough, it won't respond on my runs they way it should. And school is another checkpoint for me. When my concentration starts to wander, I know that my body is not getting the nourishment and refreshment that it needs. And, because I've had difficulties in the past, the people in my life know what to watch out for. I don't want to put that responsibility on them, but I know that if they are starting to take notice, then I probably need to check in with myself and make sure that I'm not neglecting my health.

Somehow, everything will get taken care of in the next few months and I will make it through this stressful and busy time. And then I'll probably find something else to take on and my life will continue to be stressful and busy. Because that is just they way I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment