Sunday, January 17, 2010

Next on the List

I'm a planner.  I love lists and order and structure and organization and goals.  I have never been very spontaneous, although it is something I am consciously working on.  But I just feel that my life works better when I know what the next day is going to bring; when I know what I need to get done and I have a plan to accomplish it.

That being said, I have this lofty goal of running a half marathon (or two) this year, but I don't have a very good plan to accomplish it.  I've talked about having a weekly mileage goal....15 miles/week by the end of January, 22 miles/week by the end of February....but I have't planned out how I am going to accomplish these miles.  I haven't scheduled my running time into my life.  And I know that if I don't schedule things, there is a very high likelihood that they won't get done.  Especially when I have a very energetic 4 year old, and a subbing job that could have me working at the spur of the moment. 

So, my goal is to get a plan.  Maybe not a daily plan, because my life can change with a phone call at 6:00 am, but at least a weekly plan and an overall outline of the miles I need to run to get ready for the half marathon.

This week I finished the week with 14.75 miles.  I was lucky because my work replacement showed up an hour early (she didn't remember what time she started), so I went home and changed and got on the treadmill for 4.5 miles.  If I had known that I was a quarter mile from my goal, I would have ran a little farther.  That is another consequence of not planning well.

I don't think that I will get 15 miles this week, because I have a race on Saturday, so I probably won't run on Thursday or Friday (maybe just a 2 mile easy jog Thursday morning if I don't have to work).  I am going to plan for a 4-5 mile run on Monday, a 2.5-3 mile on Tuesday, a 3.5-4 mile on Wednesday.  I am going to head down to Madison Friday when Tim gets home from work and enjoy a nice dinner (carb loading) with my wonderful aunt before the race on Saturday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment