Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mind over matter

I just finished running 9 miles.  I would love to be able to shout in joy and excitement, but there was really nothing fun or exciting about that run.  First, the weather was horrible.  It is cold and windy (especially when running east) and foggy and every time I ran under a tree, I got dripped on.

The run started out bad when I got about 3/4 of a mile from home and had to double back because I had to go to the bathroom really bad.  I never had a happy stomach for the rest of the race.  I think I made a rookie mistake with breakfast this morning.  I knew that I had a long run ahead of me, so I had 2 packets of oatmeal, half a banana and 2 spoonfuls of peanut butter.  It was a ginormous bowl of food and it sat in my stomach like a rock.

The entire run was just about getting the miles done.  There was no speed work or intervals or concentration on form or breathing.  It was just one foot in front of the other....over and over and over again.

Here are the details, but there is nothing to write home about:
9.0 miles
1:36:49 (average 10:45/mile)
mile 1: 10:04
mile 2: 10:27
mile 3: 10:03
mile 4: 11:05
mile 5: 10:49
mile 6: 11:02
mile 7: 11:20
mile 8: 10:55
mile 9: 10:56

Ok, I guess I realized something good that came from it....I RAN 9 MILES!!!

I am going to choose to focus on the positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment