Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Aches and pains

Today really seems to be dragging.  I keep looking at the clock thinking that it will be almost 5:00, but no such luck.  There are still patients to see and work to do, so I'll just keep plugging along.
My mind has been preoccupied today with some minor aches and pains that I've been dealing with.  I've shared the pain I experience in the arch of my right foot, but since my long run (13 miles) on Saturday, I've also been nursing sore hips.  And, just to finish off the trifecta, my right shoulder has been popping and locking like a rap star.
The more research I do on foot pain, the less I believe my problem is plantar fasciitis.  First of all, I don't experience pain in my heel.  The pain is localized to the arch; specifically the most medial part of the arch.
See full size image
The pain seems to be worst under the navicular bone.  It is really bad in the morning and gets better as I move and walk on it.  It rarely hurts while running.  I try to do a little massage and stretching before getting out of bed to warm everything up.  When I get done running, I do more stretching and icing, but I'm not sure about the effectivenes of the icing at this point.
The hip pain is worse in my left hip and manifests itself as a tightness with occasional popping.  It feels like it really needs a good stretch, but when I try to, I can't seem to get a deep enough stretch.
This is the stretch I do most frequently, with variations when I am lying down or seated.  I just desperately want to stretch it more, but no matter which way I twist or turn or contort my body, I can't seem to get to the exact spot that needs work.
My shoulder is something that just decided to start giving me problems the last day or two.  I can't think of anything I have done, or any reason that my right shoulder would start popping.  It has gotten progressively worse as the day goes on. 
This is definitely a downer of a post, but thanks for letting me vent a bit.  I'm hoping that I can get these problems taken care of.  I am going to see the best chiropractor in the world tomorrow and I have faith that she can help.
I am a little nervous about the toll that marathon training is going to take on my body.    :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment