Saturday, May 15, 2010

Things that make me happy #7

Tonight we took Jaden up to the track at the high school after dinner.  He has his first race coming up next month and I wanted to let him practice the 1/4 mile distance.  I really didn't think I would have to run it with him.  After all, I did run 14 miles this morning and I was pretty tired.  But how could I resist running with him? 

He was so excited.  He made me say 'on your mark, get set, go!' just like it was a real race. 















Then I watched him take off as fast as his 4-year-old legs would take him.  'Pacing' is not a word that he understands!  He just went all out.  And he was loving it!  I thought he would start to get winded and stop talking, but he carried on a conversation with me the whole time we were running around the oval. 


































We got to the finish line and he proudly declared himself the winner.  After about a minute of resting, before he had even caught his breath, he declared that we had to do it again.

Sure, I'd love to tack a half mile on top of what my legs already did this morning.  But, we started out strong on our second lap.  This time, he slowed sooner and was definitely starting to drag by the back stretch.  He wanted to hold my hand for about the last 200 meters.  That just made me realize how cool it would be for him to finish my marathon with me like that.  Hopefully I can find a way to make that happen.  (He's so sweet.)

Once we finished the second lap (which he also won), it was time to pack up and head back home.  I am more than confident that he will be able to handle the kids race next month and that he will have a great time while he's doing it.  I couldn't be prouder of him right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment