Tuesday, May 18, 2010

NOT nine miles

Don't you just hate it when all your good planning goes to crap?!?  That is what happened for me today.  I had planned on running 9 miles after work, but then everything started conspiring against me.  And by 'everything' I mean me.

I started out and felt good for the first little bit.  It was hot out, but I had my hydration belt, so I felt prepared.  But about a mile and a half into the run, I started having stomach issues.  I am not one who usually deals with this particular problem.  I have occasionally had to pick up my pace to get to a restroom, but for the most part, I'm not in extreme discomfort or anything like that.  Today was different.  I dealt with actual pain.  I was NOT having a good time, and I new before I even hit the 2 mile mark, that I wouldn't be completing nine miles today.

Also, my legs didn't feel very good.  I think I need to adjust my training schedule.  Typically, it has looked like this for the last couple weeks:
Saturday:  long run
Sunday:  rest/weights
Monday:  speed work
Tuesday:  mid-distance run

I don't think that I am giving my legs a chance to fully recover.  Maybe I need to schedule an easy day on Mondays.  Or move my mid-distance run to Wednesday or Thursday.  I don't know.  All I know is that what I'm doing now isn't working.

Here are the sad stats:
Mile 1:  9:33
Mile 2:  9:22
Mile 3:  9:52
Mile 4:  10:19
Mile 5:  10:52 (included a walking break)
Mile 6:  10:43 (another walking break)
Mile 6-6.44:  4:24 (9:59 pace)

Total: 6.44 miles  1 hour, 5 minutes
Tomorrow is a day off (to spend with my family!) and then I'm into my taper.

No comments:

Post a Comment