Saturday, May 29, 2010

NREMT practical exam

This morning I will be spending my time taking the practical portion of the test to get my EMT license.  I will be going through 6 different stations to prove my aptitude in different patient care categories.  To say that I am nervous would be an understatement!  I am freaking out!

I am trying to trust myself and I keep reminding myself that I know this information.  I just need to be able to perform in a very high stress situation.  Which, is not unlike what EMTs are called to do every day.  But for some reason, I feel more comfortable actually helping a patient than talking my way through a scenario with an evaluator.

I have been reciting the registry checklists in my head.  I go over them in the shower, while I'm driving to work, during down time at work, before I go to bed.  I'll go over them on my drive to the testing site. 

I am trying to put together a plan (hello, Type A!), but it is difficult because I don't know which station I'm going to have to do first.  I don't know how much time I will have between stations.  I don't know when I will be done with the exams.  It is very difficult for me.

Just remember....one thing at a time.  That will be my mantra for the day.

And, as soon as I get done, I can meet Tim and head to Madison for the race expo and enjoy the running part of my weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment