Saturday, May 15, 2010

Green Monster

I have finally joined the Green Monster movement.  I have seen this smoothies on tons of blogs that I read...here, here, and here.  I have been very nervous about trying it myself.  First of all, I wasn't convinced that a smoothie that's main ingredient is spinach could ever taste like anything other than spinach.

But, I'm up for anything, so I gave it a try.














Into the blender goes a banana, some strawberries and a couple handfuls of spinach.














I added some milk and gave it a whirl.




























It turned out green and frothy.














I was nervous because it was green.

Verdict:  It was fantastic!  It was banana-y and strawberry-y and delicious!
Next time I will add some flax seeds and maybe a little bit of chocolate or something.  I can see that this is a base that could work with a lot of different fruits.  I can't believe how easy it was for me to get in two servings of veggies and two servings of fruit and a serving of dairy.   Next time I would probably put a few ice cubes in it to make it colder.  It was a great post run drink that I paired with a cappuccino (I needed the caffeine).

Oh, here is something else.  I suffered through some really nasty chafing today.  I know, I know, don't wear cotton.  But my selection of appropriate running attire is severely limited.  I have a great pair of shorts that I love for my long runs.  I just need to invest in a few tank tops (and probably a couple more pairs of shorts).  That way I don't have to deal with the painful, raw, red chafed skin under my arms.  I put some diaper rash cream on it and I hope that it will feel better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment