Tuesday, May 18, 2010

One year later

It is hard to believe that my accident was exactly a year ago.  So much has happened since then.  A year ago I was in the middle of a very busy MA program with all the academic requirements associated with that.  I was in a job that I wasn't exactly crazy about.  And, I was only thinking about running; not really doing it.
The accident was actually a big part of what got me started running.  I was ticked off that I couldn't do much of anything active for a while.  And, if you know me at all, you know that when someone (or something) tells me that I can't do something; it makes me want to do it all the more.  So, I guess I am grateful that the accident happened, even though it led to a very stressful time for us.
There was the hassle of trying to find a new car, which took about 2 months.  During that time I used my dad's car.  Again, grateful that I had that opportunity.  I also had to miss work, and thus income.  I had to try to schedule all the appointments I needed: physical therapy, chiropractor, orthopaedics, and assorted follow ups.  I couldn't lift anything with my left arm and it seemed that everything was pretty painful for a long time. 
All in all, I was actually pretty lucky.  The accident could have been so much worse.  My car was hit just behind the driver's side door.  Twelve inches the other way, and I would have been hit directly.  I might be telling a different story.
In other news, the weather is absolutely GORGEOUS!
Hi 76° | Lo 46°
High temp of 76 degrees today!  I love it.  The rest of the week looks just as wonderful and next week we could be in the mid-80s.  There is really nothing better.  I am going to celebrate the weather by going for a run this afternoon.  I have a 9 mile run on my schedule.  It is my last long-ish run before I go into taper mode for next weekend's half marathon.  I won't run more than 3 or 4 miles at a time until the race. 
What does your taper plan look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment