Thursday, May 13, 2010

A kind word

Sometimes a friend will tell you exactly what you need to hear at a given time.  And it is even better when it is someone with whom you haven't spoken with in quite a while. 

I have really been struggling with body image lately.  The past few weeks have been really difficult for me.  And I don't want to talk about it too much or dwell on it because I don't respond well to focusing on my body.  It tends to take me down a dark path to places I don't want to go.  And I have many friends who also struggle in this area, and I would hate for something I say to derail someone else's recovery.  So, I have been suffering silently.  And, trying to focus on the good.

My body can do so much for me!  (It's a great mantra....when it works.) 

The mantra hasn't been working much for me lately.  I get stuck focusing on the negative:  the weight I've gained, the way my body looks, the difficulties I have trying to log more miles and increase my endurance.  In the back of my mind, I have horrible, negative, debilitating thoughts that threaten to send me back down the same spiral that I dug myself out of more than two years ago.

But, today, I got a great message from a good friend who I haven't seen in a couple years.  Someone who knew my past struggles and could even relate to them in her own way.  In three short sentences, she put a smile on my face and really brightened my mood.  She encouraged me and gave me a little permission to offer myself grace.  I am very grateful for this wonderful, beautiful woman and I feel so blessed to have her in my life.  And I miss her desperately.

What is the nicest thing a friend has told you recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment