Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Whew!

I am so glad this morning is over!  It was a crazy morning.  Two providers+only one MA (me)=chaos!  I was running back and forth between each provider and their patients and trying to get the paperwork taken care of and rooming patients and doing eye exams and I was so happy to see lunch time roll around.  Being busy makes the morning go quickly, but I'm tired.  And I still have a lot of paperwork to catch up on this afternoon.  I know that I'll get it done, but I don't like to have things hanging over my head like that.  I much prefer doing things as they happen.  It makes me feel more in control.
I always look forward to Wednesday nights.  I don't have anything going on.  After a busy weekend and having something going on Monday (Bible study) and Tuesday (EMT class) nights, it just feels good to eat a meal with my family and curl up on the couch to catch up with the DVR.  Of course, I'll probably turn my EMS pager on, just in case something happens that would allow me to go on a call.
Yesterday's eight mile run was definitely more than I should have done so soon after my 20K last Saturday.  I am going to take today off and reschedule the rest of my runs this week.  I was planning on doing my 13 miler on Thursday or Friday, but I think I'm going to hold off until Saturday morning; assuming my mom can watch Jaden while I run.  My other runs for this week are supposed to be 6 miles each.  One of them may or may not end up being only 3 or 4 miles.  When I first came up with the crazy idea to run a half marathon, I read all about how many people would over-train and show up at the starting line exhausted and not properly rested.  I thought to myself, "there is no way I could ever do that."  Now, I'm not so sure.  I can see how easily it would be to get caught up in the training and the need to get all the miles in.  I have to keep reminding myself to listen to my body and give it what it needs: rest, nutrition, stretching, cross-training.
I am also experiencing some pain in my right foot.  The pain is in the arch of my foot and it is really bad in the morning right when I get out of bed.  I've been trying to massage it before getting out of bed, but those first steps are still painful.  I also try to stretch it throughout the day, but that can be a challenge with shoes on.  And I don't think I should take my shoes off at work.    Any suggestions on what I can do to deal with the pain?    (not running is NOT an option)

1 comment:

  1. I think it's good that you are listening to your body. I get a weird pain in my right foot too, but more connected to the big toe bone. I use a soup can to massage under my foot, it seems to help a bit. Maybe you can try that on your arch. Good luck on all your running. I know that when I first start any training plan I am like 110%, it's hard to chill out a bit due to the excitement, but okay to take a needed rest day.

    ReplyDelete