Monday, April 19, 2010

Boston Finishers

I have never run a 4:48 mile in my life.  I think I'm doing well if I run half a mile in 4:48.  I can't even imagine running a 4:48 pace for 26.2 miles.  But that is exactly what Robert Cheruiyot of Kenya did today when he crossed the line first in 2:05:52.  Unbelievable!  Ryan Hall (my fav) came in 5th with a time of 2:08:41.  To give some context....Hall's time was the same as my 12 mile run last week.  Hall's finish was the fastest by an American since 1994.  In 1994, I was a sophomore in high school and doing everything in my power to find excuses NOT to run.
 
On the women's side, Teyba Erkesso of Ethiopia finished in  2:26:11 (5:35/mile pace!!)  The top American was Paige Higgins who came in 13th, about 10 seconds after the leader.
 
My dad stopped by to take Jaden golfing as I was getting ready for work.  He thought it was a little weird that I was sitting at the computer hitting 'refresh' every few seconds to stay up to date on the race.  I told him that if he ever wanted to get me a really kick-ass birthday present, that he could send me to Boston to watch the race.  That is certainly the only way that I will ever get there.  I'm pretty confident that I will never be able to throw down a 3:45 marathon to qualify.  In fact, if I were to somehow be able to maintain the same pace from my 12 mile run last week, I would finish a marathon in just under 4 1/2 hours.  And I would be THRILLED with that.  (I don't think it will happen.)
 
Congrats to everyone who ran this year's Boston marathon.  You are an inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment