Friday, April 16, 2010

Homemade Peanut Butter

I have found out that blogs are great ways to stalk keep up with old friends.  I've discovered some great blogs by people I knew in high school and college.  And I almost always learn something from them.  Today, I used this post to try to make my own homemade peanut butter.  Since I consider myself a connoisseur of all things nut-butter-related, I had to try out this recipe.














The ingredients were simple enough.  1 cup of unsalted peanuts.  1 1/2 tsp peanut oil.  1/4 tsp salt.  Much better looking than the ingredients listed here:














All the ingredients went into the food processor and I set it spinning for about a minute and a half.




























The taste was great.  Very pure and peanut-y.  The texture was still a little grainy, but I didn't mind it at all.  It was sort of between smooth and crunchy.














Kinda makes me wish I had some celery sticks to dip in it.  I might try a spoonful of it in my ice cream for dessert tonight.

So, what did I learn.....
1) Homemade peanut butter is pretty yummy
2) In my corner of the middle of nowhere, it is impossible to find shelled peanuts.  I had to shell a lot of nuts to get a cup.
3) I think this recipe would work for all sorts of different nuts.  I'm already thinking of almonds and macadamia nuts.  Yum.

What is the last thing you made from scratch?

No comments:

Post a Comment